Healthy carbs are essential to our diet. They provide esential energy, minerals and vitamins for our body.
However, making the best choices of all the foods available
to us can be tricky...always choose the most natural form of carbs available.
- Start with staying away from processed white flour, rice, bagels, highly processed foods, like baked goods, chips, crackers. These convert to glucose quickly and cause unhealthy spikes and crashes in our blood sugar levels.
- boxed pasta meals, frozen meals, packaged desserts and other convenience type foods.
- refined sugars in soda, sweet teas, juices
- boxed sweet cereals
- high fructose corn syrup, white & brown sugar. When reading labels, look for anything that ends in 'ose'
- 100% whole wheat or stone ground in bread and flour
- beans and legumes
- whole fruits
- fresh vegetables
- brown rice, quinoa and other healthy grains
*Some packaged cereals say they have whole grains but with all the chemical additives, and the processing, it isn't the best choice.
Grains and oats are always better.
Best Health, Ruthann