Hiking Ensign Peak

Hiking Ensign Peak
My cute exercising family!

Friday, September 28, 2012

Sugar Strike drawing to a close....

\
September Sugar Strike update!

Sunday is the last day of the sugar strike,
&
what have I learned?

I learned that I can go a month making better choices. I read alot about the unhealthy side effects of sugar consumption...that sugar creates in imflammed state in your body, similar to stress...and wreaks havoc on body systems.

I discovered that cooking with healthier sweeteners like honey, Sucanat and molasses do make fantastic tasting desserts, like Spiced Harvest Bars!



1 1/2 cups Sucanat
1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 tsp ginger & nutmeg

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup skim milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin 

1 eggs + 1 egg white

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, spread in a sprayed pan, 9x13 and bake at 350 for 20-25 min.

I also found that as a consumer, I made better choices when buying packaged foods, opting for brands like Kashi, that use honey in cereals, and granola bars...and avoiding hidden artificial sweeteners.

I also learned to identify between hunger and boredom. I tried to figure out when I was munchy only eating when I was actually hungry, drinking a glass of water first. I also realized that eating sugar makes you WANT sugar...and after a few days that craving took an extreme nose dive... I found I didn't think about treats very often, a piece of fresh fruit did the trick!


BUT!...even healthy sugars have calories, so watch your portion sizes...

  • With the holidays approaching, I will definately be changing up favorite recipes using natural sweeteners:
  • honey
  • molasses
  • Sucanat
  • dried fruit
  • stevia
  • maple syrup
and...healthier substitutes for ex.; vanilla & apple sauce for oils & sugar, plain or greek yogurt for creams and buttermilk, and of course my favorite,
75%+ dark chocolate...mmmmm
best health, Ruthann

No comments:

Post a Comment